The gluten-free product market is one of the fastest growing consumer life and health choice markets. Gluten free certification gives consumers confidence and trust in your products and manufacturing processes. In a recent survey of over 5000 consumers 76% of the consumers polled said they look for gluten-free certification on packages. 97% of those polled are brand loyal.
Food Safety Plus in partnership with Gluten Free Certification Organization (GFCO) is here to help you win consumer confidence and loyalty by providing third-party certification. GFCO sets the highest standards in quality control and assurance for Gluten Free Certification. Our program involves risk assessment, plant audits, equipment testing, and product testing both in the plant and at point of consumer purchase.
Established in 2005, the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO) is an industry program of the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG). GFCO is dedicated to providing certification services to producers of gluten-free products using quality assessment and control measures throughout production, in order to provide assurance to consumers of the safety of their foods.
GFCO is the largest and fastest growing gluten free certification organization in North America certifying tens of thousands of products domestically and internationally.
Gluten Free Certification with GFCO will demonstrate your commitment to gluten free products with the added benefits of:
- Recognition to a certification program specifically for the manufacture of gluten-free foods
- Risk mitigation through the application of preventative risk-based system of controls for all steps in the manufacturing process to effectively identify and manage gluten
- Showing your commitment to gluten free management, providing confidence to your customers, retailers and consumers
- International recognition in life and health choice markets through the integrity of the GFCO gluten-free claim to help consumers make an informed and safe gluten-free food choice
- GFCO is the only organisation that maintains close monitoring of manufacturer compliance with program standards.
The Gluten Free Certification Organization standard is founded upon proven, globally recognized and science-based food safety protocols. The GFCO standard does not rely solely on analytical testing results and requires food producers to implement a gluten free management system that is verified annually by a trained and approved auditor who is employed by a GFCO licensed certification body. All manufacturing plants producing GFCO certified products are required to submit finished product testing on a regular basis for the GFCO for review.
GFCO requires that all finished products using the GFCO Logo contain 10ppm or less of gluten. In Australia, products using the GFCO Logo must contain 0ppm of gluten.
- All ingredients utilised in GFCO certified products are required to go through a stringent review process of approval. All ingredients must contain 10ppm or less of gluten,
- Barley-based ingredients are not allowed in GFCO certified products,
- GFCO requires ongoing testing of finished products and high-risk raw materials and equipment,
- Compliance with all government regulations for allergens, gluten-free labelling and Good Manufacturing Practices is required,
- GFCO standard is stricter than Codex, USA, Canada, the EU and many other country standards for labelling products gluten free.
1. Complete the application for all products and facilities that are to be inspected and considered for certification2. You will receive a quote for certification and audit expenses.· Audit expenses (estimated inspection and travel) are due before audit is scheduled.· Annual certification fee is based on risk assessment of ingredients, manufacturing plant, and other factors affecting production.3. A GFCO auditor will conduct an initial inspection of the facility or a consultation may be coordinated.
4. After a contract is prepared and signed, you will be given permission to use the GFCO logo
5. Finally, to maintain the integrity of the certification, Annual inspections of every facility is required by a GFCO qualified inspector with required regular testing. GFCO may make periodic unannounced visits to your facility and collect samples from grocery store shelves for testing.
Time required to complete the gluten free certification process takes on average 6-18 weeks and, depends on the complexity of you application, location of facility, and plant inspection. Gluten free certification is available Australia wide including Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.